The Abomination of Desolation
The verses concerning the abomination of desolation are found in the new testament books of Matthew 24 : 15 and Mark 13 : 14.
There are three verses located within the old testament book of Daniel concerning the "abomination of desolation" and "abomination that makes desolate". All are about the same subject and all have already been fulfilled. The chapters and verses within the book of Daniel are as follows } 8 : 13 - 14, 9 : 27, 11 : 31 and 12 : 11.
All the above verses are about the same subject and all have already been fulfilled.
So what is the "abomination of desolation" and the "abomination that makes desolate" ?
Let's get a definition of "abomination" and "desolation".
First, abomination. Going into the bible, one can find that an abomination is anything contrary to God Almighty's laws. Specifically the ten commandments and then some that follow through the books of Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy as well as other parts throughout the bible. Abomination stands for anything detestable by God Almighty.
The ten commandments as stated in the book of Exodus 20 : 1 - 17 if one doesn't know them are :
1. Thou shall not
have no other gods before me.
2. Thou shall not make unto they any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shall not bow down unto them or serve them.
3. Thou shall not take the name of the Lord thy god in vain. (God Almighty's name is Yahweh).
4. Remember to keep the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. (This day would be Friday night to Saturday night).
5. Honor thy father and mother. (the word honor is different than the word "obey" and rightly so).
6. Thou shall not kill. (This means killing in an unjust manner such as murder. Self defense and defending ones country or defending the rights of others from persons or government who kill unjustly is another matter.)
7. Thou shall not commit adultery. (This goes for those in marriage having affairs and for those whom are single having affairs with someone who is married). Note : fornication is considered an abomination along with other various subjects that are mentioned within the Old and New Testaments and are another matter entirely.
8. Thou shall not steal.
9. Thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
10. Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's house, wife, manservant, maidservant, ox, ass (donkey or mule), or anything that is thy neighbor's. (To desire inordinately for what belongs to another is a no no.)
There were severe penalties for going against these laws. These are the main laws. Christ fulfilled the penalties for all the laws but the laws of God Almighty Yahweh still stand. Let's move forward before I start preaching.
Second, desolation :
1. The act or an instance of desolating.
2. The state of being desolate.
3. Devastation; ruin: a drought that brought desolation to the region.
4. a. The state of being abandoned or forsaken; loneliness: a sense of utter desolation following the
death of his parents.
b. Wretchedness; misery.
So we can look at the "abomination of desolation" and the "abomination that makes desolate" as an entity that regards not God Almighty's laws, is detestable, and brings total ruin, wretchedness, abandonment, loneliness and misery .
It will be an entity that is deified and expected to be worshipped, is idolatrous, kills without just cause, lies, steals, destroys and ruins; having no honour, ethics, or morals; promoting unlawfulness, unrighteousness and immorality; wanting it all having no regard for God Almighty, his laws, his words or life itself by making use of the following :
1. Military Might. In the present day this would also include
nuclear and biological warfare.
2. Unjust Laws made through and within a governmental court.
3. Theft in various forms through governmental policy, business and finance.
4. Lies through various forms of governmental speeches through the use of mass media.
5. Politics itself.
6. Religion in all its forms.
7. Educational facilities.
8. Propaganda through the various forms of mass media be it print or electronic in and of itself.
9. The use of other known and unknown organizations.
10. Economics itself.
11. Big business itself.
12. Finance itself.
Finally, this entity will appear and have an image erected and stand within the holy place. This has already happened in history once during the time of Antiochus Epiphanies IV as a main example and a shadow of what is to come from what the Messiah has stated in the New Testament. Below are two excerpts concerning Antiochus.
ruler, Antiochus Epiphanies IV (175-164 BCE) punished Jewish attempts at
resistance by attacking Jerusalem, slaughtering the population, plundering the
Temple and erecting a statue to Zeus on the Temple altar of burnt offering. This
was what the author of Daniel referred to as "the abomination of desolation".
— Billy Graham Organization
And also located within the book of Maccabees :
"Not long after this
the king sent an Athenian senator to force the Jews to abandon the customs of
their ancestors and live no longer by the laws of God; also to profane the
temple in Jerusalem and dedicate it to Olympian Zeus, and that on Mount Gerizim
to Zeus the Hospitable, as the inhabitants of the place requested...They also
brought into the temple things that were forbidden, so that the altar was
covered with abominable offerings prohibited by the laws. A man could not keep
the sabbath or celebrate the traditional feasts, nor even admit that he was a
Jew. At the suggestion of the citizens of Ptolemais, a decree was issued
ordering the neighboring Greek cities to act in the same way against the Jews:
oblige them to partake of the sacrifices, and put to death those who would not
consent to adopt the customs of the Greeks. It was obvious, therefore, that
disaster impended. Thus, two women who were arrested for having circumcised
their children were publicly paraded about the city with their babies hanging at
their breasts and then thrown down from the top of the city wall. Others, who
had assembled in nearby caves to observe the sabbath in secret, were betrayed to
Philip and all burned to death. ”
— 2 Maccabees 6:1-11
The abomination has already happened and history just might repeat itself, that is, unless The Messiah returns to put an end to it.
Update : December 22, 2013 - Madmen erecting a nuclear bomb in or near Jerusalem and self detonating it in the name of Allah could very well fit this description hence the name suicide bombers and a possible repeat of history. People of Israel and the world beware !! Iran now has nuclear capabilities and is now declared a seventh power by President Obama.
Related news articles :
November 27, 2013 : Obama makes Iran 7th world power
November 30, 2013 : Enough enriched uranium in Iran for 4 nuclear weapons